Monday, October 09, 2006

Techniques with Line

It's time I pick a new theme for the week. This week, I will be focusing on techiques on drawing that involve line work. To the right is an example that uses line as its primary way to express form. I colorized the work as I usually do, and even went a step farther and added a simple backdrop. The backdrop is busy, but the figure is not and creates a balance in the piece that works nicely.

What I really want to show with this drawing is the strong over-lapping lines I made sure to include in the drawing. By that I mean such the lines that run from her left thigh over the form of her shin. Only by doing so can you achieve a natural look to the foreshorting of the leg (a topic to discuss another time). Even in forms that have little or even no foreshorting like her arms, I made sure I know which form can before another, and overlapped the lines to get the grace of the various froms of the body.

Next time I promise to draw a male figure as I'm aware that I have included nothing but female figures to this date.

No comments: